Monday, January 28, 2013

"...no matter how small"

Today was the first day of exams. I was so worried about my kiddos because I have some that can hardly understand English, let alone read and comprehend passages in stories.
I have not been with these kids all year so I'm still learning where each child is educationally. This is so hard for me because they have been following along in class so I think we're on the same page and then time for reviews comes along and about four of my kiddos cannot understand so they just rewrite the questions for each answer.
So we had my science and reading exams in my second grade class and I had to walk the kids through every question and my third grade reading exam went really well. :)
I need to keep reminding myself to have patience and take more time to help the ones that need me. These kiddos cannot move forward if they don't even know that negra is black and blanca is white. :-/

After school, a few of us went over to the orphanage. Immediately we walk onto their playground and all of the kids are out running around and playing. Some of the little ones were on the swings the others swinging on the jungle gym. I passed out some stickers to the kiddos and walked over to cuddle with the babies.

I lost my heart to one of the little boys, whom I understood to be named Flaco, which can be translated to skinny boy in Spanish, which made sense because he was the tiniest little boy I've ever seen. I didn't even think his tiny little legs would allow him to walk but it was his favorite thing! For the hour or so that we were there, he held onto my hands and we walked around the yard. It was then that I decided I may need to take him back home with me in June.

We will definitely be going back there weekly so I can watch him (and the others) grow up, even if I can't take them home with me.


"Even though you can't see or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small" -Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who!









No comments:

Post a Comment