Sunday, May 19, 2013

Three weeks left.


I get on a plane to go back to the states in 21 days. I cannot believe it. Honduras has turned into my home: even though my roommates and I may complain about a couple of things around here, we do call it home. Leaving here will be incredibly bittersweet for me, I have made some amazing friends and fallen in love with my 19 second graders. I will be leaving a part of my heart in this country. Everything from the amazing mountains that we look up to daily to the cat calls on the street, that we try hard to ignore, will surely be missed.

Friday was "Dia de la Familia" at our school and each of our classes prepared a song each in English and Spanish. It would only make sense with the performances to have the first grade classes, then the second grade, then third and so on. Nope. My poor second graders were 19th out of about 20 something performances. They were miserable. We had to keep them contained "backstage", which meant only allowing them to run in a small area and try not to get too sweaty or dirty for about 3.5 hours. I ended up sitting the bench trying to console some teary-eyed children that were hot, tired and just wanted to go home. So I finally talked the teachers in charge into allowing my kids to go onstage halfway through the program and they unenthusiastically sang "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and "Amigo".
After our kids performed, we travelled back to Teguc to meet up with our friends from last weekend. I didn't know it would be possible to have just as much fun as the weekend before. We went to a birthday party with a Suit and Tie theme, had fabulous appetizers and drinks and spent the night dancing and having great conversation. The next day we laid around the pool and had delicious Bloody Mary's and burgers. Later on, we went to a bar with over 100 beers and sat around a table, ordering some of our favorites from around the world. :) I was in heaven. Once again it was hard to leave the city this morning but we had to do it.
On the bus ride home, I sat looking out the window thinking of everything I am going to miss so much about this country when I leave. The list is too long, but if I've learned anything from this country, it is not to listen to the horrible rumors that are flying around about it. The friends I have made in these five months, especially the past two weekends, are people I will never forget and hope not to lose touch with when I move away.




"A year from now we'll all be gone, all our friends will move away. And they're going to better places, but our friends will be gone away. Nothing is as it has been and I miss your face like hell. And I guess it's just as well, but I miss your face like hell. " -Rivers and Roads, The Head and the Heart





















No comments:

Post a Comment