Friday, May 10, 2013

Solamente un poquito, por favor

So for the past couple weeks, I've looked at the ends of my hair thinking maybe I could just take some scissors and chop off the crazy broken ends myself.... Maybe I should have.

My roommate walked through the front door tonight looking as you should when you get your haircut. So refreshed, with fresh ends and a big smile on her face. I asked her where and how much and ran out the door. My first thought as the door slammed behind me was "maybe Faye should turn around and come with you, as you know no words from the hair stylist world in Spanish." But I told myself that I could handle it, "necesito cortas mi pelo, solamente poquito", while gesturing just a little bit, showing about an inch with my fingers.

One girl sets me up in the chair. She hands another girl scissors. (Mind you, I like to be clear with my hairdressers, only a little bit, less than an inch if you can, it's been about six months since I last...) nope. Not here. The girl takes my hair and ziiiiippp! Cuts layers around my face. I gasped. Um no, solamente poquito!!!!!! But, she has already done my left side so I may as well let her do the other side. She hands the scissors to someone else and she clip, clip, clips my right side and I'm almost in tears. I have never cried at the hair salon before but these girls were testing me.
Then she hands me a mirror and voila! Chops the back off.
Welp, when in... Honduras. At least it feels fresh. Buena suerte to the next person that gets this job, you're going to have some evening out to do :-/
After my tragic experience, we had family dinner. A bit of a twist as we had the principal of the younger grades of our school over, and we decided to speak completely in Spanish. I practiced speaking spanish probably more tonight than I have in the months that I've been here. But we had a great time, and too many laughs, pulling our vocabularies together between those of us who are not fluent to hold conversations.

Faye, Kristina and I are headed off to Tegucigalpa in the morning for a quick weekend trip! Hasta en el futuro! ( as my roommate Kristina tells people around town) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment